The Mathayom 1 syllabus has been designed based on the Upbeat Elementary books published by Pearson.
An example of the materials in the student book are shown above (click to open it as a PDF).
Supplementary materials, such as the worksheet above (click to open it as a PDF) are designed by the teachers for each unit.
The Mathayom 1 syllabus for 2016/2017 includes the following areas:
- countries and nationalities
- food and drinks
- places in a town
- movie and music genres
- personality types
- adverbs and expressions of frequency
- going to for future plans, intentions and decisions
- verbs of emotion + gerund form
- comparative and superlative adjectives
- zero conditional with if
- first conditional with if
- exchanging personal information
- talking about likes and dislikes
- asking for, making and responding to suggestions
- asking permission and responding
- making and responding to apologies
- ordering food in a restaurant
- describing problems and offering solutions
- saying goodbye in various situations
- listening to a conversation and answering comprehension questions
- using maps and pictures to identify the topic of a text
- reading a story and completing sentences about it
- listening to a radio interview and identifying topics
- reading restaurant reviews and answering multiple choice questions
Students complete 4 portfolios, which contribute to their Mathayom 1 grade.
Select the portfolio title to open an example of each piece of work from 2016/2017.
Students write present simple and present continuous sentences to compare their normal week to their week as a superhero.